United States v. Gunter, et al. Claims Administration

Frequently Asked Questions

Helpful Hint: Using the general subject of your question may provide the best search results. For example, enter the word “remission” in the search box to find information about the Petition for Remission.

General Information

1.      What is this about?

In February 2013, the United States initiated the Remission process to facilitate the return of forfeited money to eligible victims of frauds perpetrated by defendant Paul Gunter and others (the “Defendants”). Remission occurs when forfeited assets are returned to the victims of the crime underlying the forfeiture. Authority to grant Remission rests with the United States Attorney General, as delegated to the Asset Forfeiture and Money Laundering Section of the United States Department of Justice. The Department of Justice hired Garden City Group, LLC (“GCG”) to serve as the Remission Administrator for this matter.

The Defendants were charged with violations of United States federal law involving Rocky Mountain Gold Mining, Inc., Mobilestream, Inc. (also known as (“a/k/a”) Mobilestream Oil), Nanoforce, Inc., RegalTech, Inc. (a/k/a Asante Networks), and FOREX (foreign exchange investment a/k/a Continental Clearing). Evidence presented at trial also established that the Defendants were involved in relevant uncharged fraudulent activity involving the following entities: IQ Webquest (a/k/a SpeechLink Communications), Turquoise Development, and Transglobal Oil (a/k/a Transglobal). The Remission process in this administration is limited to individuals who invested in one or more of the eight bolded entities listed above (collectively, the “Eligible Entities”). Investments in other entities are not eligible in this administration.

(collapse all)

2.      What is a Petition for Remission?

A Petition for Remission is a request made to the Attorney General by victims of criminal activity to recover money that they have lost as a result of the crime. During the Remission process, the Government obtains judicial forfeiture of assets that are associated with the criminal activity and the forfeited assets are returned to the victims of the crime underlying the forfeiture.

(collapse all)

3.      What securities were eligible?

The Remission process is limited to individuals who invested in one or more of the eight Eligible Entities, which are listed below:

  1. Rocky Mountain Gold Mining, Inc.
  2. Mobilestream, Inc. (a/k/a Mobilestream Oil)
  3. Nanoforce, Inc.
  4. RegalTech, Inc. (a/k/a Asante Networks)
  5. FOREX (foreign exchange investment a/k/a Continental Clearing)
  6. IQ Webquest (a/k/a SpeechLink Communications)
  7. Turquoise Development
  8. Transglobal Oil (a/k/a Transglobal)

(collapse all)

4.      How do I get a Petition?

The time to file a petition for this Remission Fund has passed.

(collapse all)

5.      What is the amount of the Remission Fund?

Approximately $3,596,040.70 was forfeited for the original Remission Fund. The United States Department of Justice recently secured additional forfeiture proceeds in the amount of $2,250,000.00 for the upcoming supplemental distribution, which will be paid on a pro-rata basis.

(collapse all)

6.      How can I file a Petition?

The time to file a petition for this Remission Fund has passed

(collapse all)

7.      What is the calculation formula that will be used to determine payment?

When the forfeited funds are insufficient to fully compensate all the victims in a multi-victim case, the funds are generally distributed on a pro rata basis in accordance with the amount of loss suffered by each victim. For example, if the forfeited funds cover one-half of the victims' losses, each victim receives 50 percent of his/her actual pecuniary loss.

(collapse all)

8.      How will my supplemental payment be paid?

You may elect to receive your supplemental payment by electronic funds transfer or check. If you request to receive your payment by electronic funds transfer, you must provide complete, accurate banking information by contacting the Remission Administrator as soon as possible using the contact information located here.

If you choose to receive an electronic funds transfer, please provide the following, and complete the transfer instructions accordingly:

Ultimate Beneficiary Name
Ultimate Beneficiary Address
Ultimate Beneficiary IBAN or Account Number

Beneficiary Bank Name
Beneficiary Bank Address
Beneficiary Bank Sort Code – not needed if IBAN has been supplied – still needed if only account number is supplied
Beneficiary Bank Swift Code

Intermediary Bank (IB): Please check with your bank and simply ask “If I am receiving electronic U.S. Dollar transfer funds (or British Pounds if that is your request) from a bank in the US (or London, again if you choose Pounds), can the funds be directed to my Bank or do they need to be sent to an intermediary bank that would then forward them to my Bank?” If there is no Intermediary Bank, you may leave this blank.

(collapse all)

9.      Where can I obtain additional information?

You may obtain additional information by contacting the Remission Administrator using the contact information located here.

(collapse all)

10.      How do I update my contact information?

You can update your contact information by clicking here.

(collapse all)

11.      I received a check on behalf of a deceased individual. How can I have this check reissued?

To request a check reissue for deceased victims, please send a copy of the death certificate and grant of representation from the Probate Registry along with any necessary supporting documentation. If the estate is open, then the transfer request should be to the executorship account.

(collapse all)